On 1 Aug 2009, at 14:54, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
It has always baffled me, given this sensitivity, that all such
packages don't just declare that they use the 'ithreads' USE flag,
even if they don't explicitly.  Then my usual emerge --newuse would do
the Right Thing (TM).

The build scripts (makefile or whatever) of some packages will autodetect whether a feature is available. Thus they take advantage of another package's USE flag, without their own ebuild featuring it. I think this issue may be complicated by upstream decisions, thus complicating matters so that it may not be so easy for Gentoo developers to do the "right thing".

Stroller.