On 08/02/2009 06:17 PM, Doug Hunley wrote:
I noticed that my 'emerge world' wants to replace python 2.6.2 with
python 3.1 (I run ~x86).

Nope, it does not :) It only wants to install it alongside 2.6.x, not replace it.

Is it safe to do so or will portage (and
everything else) freak out? If it is, in fact, safe are there any
extra (special) steps needed to ensure continued operation of things?
Thanks.

No danger. The default will still be 2.6.x. If you don't specifically need 3.1 though, you can simply mask it since the only thing it will do in your case is take up disk space.