On 08/03/2009 03:11 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:10:49PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote

Note that by doing so you will be using -j1 for every future version
of duma.  That means, if the problem gets fixed, you'll still be
using -j1.

   Actually, I put -j1 into my make.conf after being bitten by -j2 a few
times.  It doesn't slow down the emerge that much, and doesn't slow down
the compiled program at all.  And the big thing is that it has probably
saved me from wasting time trying to track down weird emerge failures.

Well, that's you. -j2 needs only 1/2 of the time to emerge things on this machine, and -j4 only 1/4 on a 4 core machine.

So my advice for others is to not take Walter's advice and use -j1 because "it doesn't slow down the emerge that much". It can slow it down. Up to four times slower.