Xavier Parizet writes:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 00:33:22 +1000, "Alan E. Davis" <lngn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I wish to move the / partition, and separate /usr into a separate
> > partition.  One reason is to take advantage of a faster 10,000 RPM
> > drive for system files.
> >
> > I am stuck on one issue (at least): do I need to copy /sys to the new /
> > partition?
>
> No need to copy /sys and /proc, they are virtual filesystems filled up by
> the kernel.

Just make sure to create these directories.

> You have also to copy /dev, but to do so, you have to reboot into a
> livecd, as the mounted /dev is filled in by udev in a running system.

Or you bind-mount the root file system to somewhere else, this gives you the
original system without the things mounted on top of it:

mount -o bind / /mnt
cp -a /mnt/dev /newroot/

Or create the device nodes by hand, it's only two that are needed for udev
to come up:

mknod -m 660 /newroot/dev/console c 5 1
mknod -m 660 /newroot/dev/null    c 1 3

I _think_ you also could just copy the populated /dev, but I like to have
only the necessary things in there, not everything that udev creates.

        Alex