I dunno what I did, but I've managed to break python shell scripts, which of course is playing havoc with portage. Bash no longer wants to execute the scripts with python as the interpreter, but insists on executing them as bash scripts. Python itself is still functioning properly, when invoked directly. Since I happen to have ImageMagick on this machine, the result is this:

kut...@apollo ~ $ cat test.py
#!/usr/bin/python
import sys
print "Python Ok."
kut...@apollo ~ $ ./test.py
X connection to localhost:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
./test.py: line 3: print: command not found
kut...@apollo ~ $ python ./test.py
Python Ok.
kut...@apollo ~ $

Perl and Tcl both still work as expected, and by invoking python directly I can still get portage to merge things. For example:

r...@apollo ~ $ python -O /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild /usr/portage/dev-lang/python/python-2.6.2-r1.ebuild install

will re-merge python successfully, which I have now done for both python and bash, to no effect.

Any ideas?

--Mike