On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Grant<emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried the shake defragmenter?
>>>

>> Yes, nothing has blown up yet. :)
>>

> I used it a while back but couldn't really see a whole lot of
> difference.  The numbers said it helped but not much else changed.  I
> think logging into KDE was a little faster is about all.  I'm with Alan
> on this one.  It just doesn't get fragmented like windoze does.

I think it really depends on the situation. For example I have a fast
connection (20 megabit) so to maximize it I will often have several
downloads in parallel, which causes files to be very fragmented. I
have experienced a noticeable slowdown reading really fragmented files
(2 or 3Mbyte/sec, when normal reads are around 45Mbyte/sec). At speeds
that slow it can be slower than the burn speed of a DVD, which is not
good, and it just slows everything down in gernal.

Small files (less than 1 megabyte) are rarely fragmented and even when
they are, it isn't going to have any significant effect on
performance.

I would defrag large files or files that are downloaded/appended, such
as /usr/portage/distfiles and /var/log. If you're dealing with large
digital camera pictures, audio or video then I would definitely defrag
those files. Everything else in /usr/bin and so on are probably not
fragmented to begin with since the files are are written at-once and
whole when you emerge packages.