--- On Wed, 8/5/09, Galevsky <galev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Galevsky <galev...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing/upgrading with emerge from non-root
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Date: Wednesday, August 5, 2009, 1:09 PM
> 2009/8/5 Kevin Haddock <kevinhadd...@yahoo.com>:
> > hmmm... ok, I can see that, but if I use sudo, will
> distcc try to distribute the compile jobs logging in as my
> unprivileged user, or will it try doing it as root (on the
> other machine)?
>

> ????
>
> You want to share your compilation tasks with others....
> good. Do you
> have enough rights to launch emerge localy ? So you have to
> launch
> emerge with feature distcc on.

That is done.  I am a sudoer on the other machine but I don't have the root
password, nor do I just want to cavalierly set it as it's not my machine.

> What about the other hosts that may help you compiling ?
> They have to
> run the distcc daemon, with your IP on the authorized list.

As the other machines are located across the public internet, it is my
understanding that I should *not* run distccd but instead let mine log in with
ssh to launch the compile.

> Do you
> have enough privileges to manage/configure the distccd
> daemon on other
> machines ? That is the question. You have to ask for it to
> the admin
> if you cannot do it in your own.

Should all be set up.  Only problem is that I don't think my machine can log in
as root to the remote machine without the remote machine's root password, right?

> I just want to let you know that shared compilation faces
> some issues
> depending on packages: I failed to upgrade gcc using
> distcc, but
> disabling it was a fix for my gcc-4.3.2 emerge process.

all gcc's are the same version.

> Galevsky

-Kevin