On Saturday 08 August 2009 21:30:59 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I will need to perform an "emerge -e world" on a system.  However, I
> would like to be able to exclude some packages from being rebuild
> without uninstalling them.  Does portage provide for that?

No.

-e is intended to rebuild *eveything*, not "everything except something".

You need to take the long way round and find everything in /var/db/pkg,
compile a list of everything there, remove the ones to be excluded and
redirect the whole list to emerge. It might even fit on one command line.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com