pk writes:

> Alex Schuster wrote:

> So what modules does get loaded?

All from your modules section (except for type1), an in total these:
glx, extmod, dri, dbe, record, fglrx, kbd, mouse, vgahw, int10, vbe,
fglrxdrm, ddc, fb, ramdac, xaa, fglrxdrm, glesx, amdxmm

> > I know this command from when I had a NVidia card, and I am missing the
> > 'YES' in my output of fglrxinfo. But I do not have a 'NO' there either.
>
> fglrxinfo is different from glxinfo. glxinfo is available in the
> mesa-progs package (emerging this will pull in mesa as well but there's
> no harm in that, unless you are tight on hard drive space - just make
> sure you shift back to ati opengl after emerging).

Ah, I see. Didn't know about mesa-progs. Mesa is already installed, and
space is really no concern here. The output of glxinfo looks good:
name of display: :0.0

display: :0  screen: 0

direct rendering: Yes

server glx vendor string: SGI

server glx version string: 1.2

server glx extensions:

    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,

    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe,

    GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer

client glx vendor string: SGI

client glx version string: 1.4

client glx extensions:

    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,

    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory,

    GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method,

    GLX_OML_sync_control, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control,

    GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,

    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group,

    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

GLX version: 1.2

GLX extensions:

    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,

    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_OML_swap_method,

    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

OpenGL version string: 2.1.8201 Release

OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

OpenGL extensions:

    GL_AMD_performance_monitor, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float,

    GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_draw_instanced,

    GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_shader,
GL_ARB_half_float_pixel,
    GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_ARB_multisample,

    GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object,

    GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_shader_objects,

    GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_shadow,

    GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,

    GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,

    GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine,

    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,

    GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat,

    GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle,

    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object,

    GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_window_pos,

    GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap, GL_ATI_fragment_shader,

    GL_ATI_meminfo, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc,

    GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_EXT_abgr,

    GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate,

    GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,

    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_copy_texture,

    GL_EXT_depth_buffer_float, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_fog_coord,

    GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample,

    GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,

    GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4,

    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil,

    GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_point_parameters,

    GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,

    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs,
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap,
    GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_texture3D,

    GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc,

    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map,

    GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,

    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,

    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias,

    GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_object,

    GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB,

    GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_transform_feedback,

    GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NV_blend_square,

    GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap,

    GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_WIN_swap_hint,

    WGL_EXT_swap_control

3 GLX Visuals
   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
0x21 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x22 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x39 32 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None

34 GLXFBConfigs:
   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
0x3a  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x3b  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x3c  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x3d  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x3e  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x3f  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x40  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x41  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x42  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x43  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x44  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x45  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x46  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x47  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x48  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x49  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x4a  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x4b  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x4c  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x4d  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x4e  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x4f  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x50  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x51  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x52  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x53  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x54  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x55  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x56  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x57  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x58  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x59  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x59  0 dc  0 128  0    y  . 32 32 32 32  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 Slow
0x59  0 dc  0 128  0    .  . 32 32 32 32  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 Slow

> > I thought I read here that they do, but may give lots of warnings in
> > syslog.
>
> Well, I'm holding out for the open source drivers... There's nothing in
> newer fglrx drivers that I need currently.

I thought OpenGL support were better? And there is power saving. Although I
have an onboard card, so I would not have a loud spinning fan.

> I wish I could be of more help though...

Thanks! But you motivated me to give the new drivers a try.

[later]

Okay, I just did it. Emerged ati-drivers 9.7. Got a locked display, but
after a reboot, all is fine. Wow! Maybe the problem last time was that I
tried 9.6, or I did not reboot. Whatever.
fgl_glxgears is slower now, but renders multiple the gears on a rotation
cube, which it did not do before. Maybe it should have, and the graphics was
just too distorted to notice. glxgears reports around 230 fps. Did not try
that before with the older drivers though, so I can't compare.
Quake3 still runs (still not with sound, but that's another problem), and
KDE4 desktop effects mostly work, after I set the composite type to OpenGL.
Some are quite funny, some are useless, some annoying, but I still enjoy
them.
The drawback is that CPU usage for the X process went up from 8% to 40%.
Ouch. Even when I explicitely disable everything in the 'all effects' tab,
as long as I have them generally activated. That's a lot of CPU usage for
some effects I do not _really_ need. I'll probably turn them off soon then.

Thanks again, I needed a little kick. This makes one item less on my to-do
list.

        Wonko