On 08/15/2009 09:35 PM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

AFAIK, the mudflap pointer checker is just a command line GCC switch.
You need to enable it explicitly using "-fmudflap".

ah.... o.k. I'm using the hardened overlay, and mudflap is a use flag
defaulting to enabled. I'll post that second comment over in hardened.

I'm not on hardened, but mudflap is enabled by default here too. What I don't know is whether hardened has "-fmudflap" enabled by default. Perhaps someone who knows more about this feature can shed some light on how this works exactly.

I'd guess that most here would appreciate it if you post your
impressions about graphite.

Overall system performance seems unchanged. I would need to actually benchmark it. I didn't do it yet, but you could emerge stuff like gzip, bzip2, oggdec (and other stuff that is easy to benchmark) with 4.4.1, run them on in-memory files (that means in /dev/shm) and time them (with the 'time' command) to see how big a gain there is. For example:

  time bzip2 --best /dev/shm/500gb-test-file