<I posted this to getoo-media@ mut the list looks to be . . . "not-active.">

I'm new to gentoo and the main reason for coming to gentoo is that I
have an extra machine that I'd like to use as a DVR. Thus, I've
installed mythtv.

In general, the experience has been pleasant. However, I wonder about
two things regarding emerge and mythtv's dependencies. The first is
that mythtv failed to fully compile the first time because unzip was
not installed. Next, is once mythtv finished compiling I tried to fire
it up (mythtv-setup) and it was apparent that X was not installed.

These are not major "problems," since gentoo seems to be a friendly
distro (so far) and emerging unzip and X went/is going just fine. I
just found it odd that the mythtv package didn't "make sure" unzip and
X were present before it was installed.

Thoughts?