On 2 Sep 2009, at 22:28, Daniel Quinn wrote:
... now I'm trying to have one of them run Mencoder to record
CBC's The National from an MMS stream and I'm having this problem:

 Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported

Are you able to play this on an x86 Linux box?

If not, or if you're unable to try, it might well be worth posting the URL to see if anyone else is able to do so. You may just find that someone else is able to report success of a configuration or software that you hadn't considered.

Stroller.