J. Roeleveld a écrit :
Hi all,

Does anyone know if an existing method to have init-scripts on server A wait for a service on server B to be started?

Reason for this:
I have one server containing all the databases, one that operates as a NAS and the DNS is running on server 3. In order for the different machines to start correctly, I need to configure it that server 3 starts the DNS before the other machines try to access other machines (don't want to maintain hosts-files as it all works fine once the servers are up and running)

Also need to make sure the database and NAS is running before the webserver starts.

I tried to google for it, but I can't find a usefull search string that will give me anything usefull.

I don't mind reqriting init-scripts for this, but am looking for a way to check if services are up and running from within the init-scripts.

Thanks,

Joost Roeleveld

Monit may be able to meet your needs and reduce the amount of work you'd have to do to script this up yourself.

http://mmonit.com/monit/

An advantage of not touching the init scripts is that you don't have to maintain patches or deal with merge prompts when a package updates it's init script.

Regards,
Carlos