On Saturday 05 September 2009 03:29:46 Nick Khamis wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> what emerge parameters recompiles everything in my gentoo environment afer
> changing use flags
>
> emerge --update --deep --*newuse* world?
>
> I issued a
>
> emerge -e world
>

> and I saw it was installing 450 things so I ctrl+c the process, did I
> kill everything.
>
> Anyhow I would like to recompile everything existing in the
> environment in the safest manner.

You almost always want

emerge -avuND world

Which will find every relevant change you made and deal with it.

Don't forget

emerge -av @preserved-rebuild with recent portage versions
revdep-rebuild -p -i followed by
revdep-rebuild to find broken stuff and finally
emerge -a --depclean to clean out obsolete stuff that's hanging around

Don't run these blindly. Eyeball the output, understand what you are looking
at.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com