On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone tell me what this means?
>
> r...@smoker / # emerge -p --depclean
>
>  * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
>  * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
>  * be kept.  They can be manually added to this set with
>  * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`.  Packages that are listed in
>  * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
>  * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
>  *
>  * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
>  * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved.  As a
>  * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
>  * --newuse --deep @system @world` prior to depclean.
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>  * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
>  * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
>  * packages that pulled them in.
>  *
>  *   dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r3 pulled in by:
>  *     app-office/scribus-1.3.3.11
>  *
>  \
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>

> I have re-compiled scribus about three times now.  I have also ran
> python-updater a few times and it just keeps rebuilding scribus and
> boost in a endless loop.  What am I missing here?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Possibly scribus isn't compatible with python-2.6? The few times I've
run into this with depclean I've removed the app (scribus in this
case) cleaned up the machine with depclean and revdep-rebuild, and
then reinstalled the app from scratch. If it tries to pull in
phython-2.5 then you just have to make a choice whether you want it or
not. (Or look for a mased ebuild, etc.

- Mark