On Monday 28 September 2009, Willie Wong wrote:
> On my laptop the terminal emulator is currently aterm. (I know, I
> know, I really should switch to rxvt-unicode already. But I am about
> to get a new machine soon, so am too lazy to deal with it now.)
>
> But when I ssh into other computers, and issue echo $TERM it shows
> kterm. Now this has caused me a bit of headache due to curses and
> dialog behaving funny, and I just found out today that if I export
> TERM=xterm after logging in, all my woes went away.

I also have aterm and tried ssh with two different machines.  Both return rxvt
which is what echo $TERM gives when in a local terminal.

(At some point I was thinking of using mrxvt, but fluxbox allows me to stack
multiple aterms into a single tabbed terminal so I haven't tried it yet).
--
Regards,
Mick