On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 11:58 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> sometimes upstream changes a packet without renaming it

This got me thinking. I've been hearing the word "packet" used a lot
lately to describe software.  I always think "is this a new thing or did
they mean 'package'?

I tried doing my own investigation.  Googling "software packet" returns
mostly software about network monitoring.  Googling "software package"
returns just what you'd expect.  Yet I've heard a few people lately
describe software as a "packet".  Did these people phonetically mis-hear
"package" as "packet"? Is this something new?  Sometimes I think to
correct these people but perhaps I'm the one who needs correcting?