On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 08:54:02PM -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote

> Ok the echo trick isn't the recommended way to suspend to disk.  A
> better way is to use "pm-hibernate --quirks" (pm-hibernate is from the
> pm-utils packages).  The --quirks option will try to handle any, well,
> quirks that are known with your hardware.  echo'ing to /sys/power/state
> is a little more low-level and could be iffy on some types of hardware.

  I ended up emerging hibernate-script and it runs great.  I added a few
tweaks to hibernate.conf.  Here's what it looks like...

TryMethod disk.conf
Distribution gentoo
OnResume 00 setfont lat1-10
DownInterfaces auto
UpInterfaces auto
UseSysfsPowerState disk
PowerdownMethod shutdown

  As for pm-utils...
<RANT>
Why the bleep can't some programmers go to the bathroom without invoking
hal and dbus?  They're hard-coded dependancies for pm-utils.  I've
managed to keep hal and dbus (and java and pam) off my machine, and will
continue doing so.  If I had a bunch of money lying around, I'd hire some
programmers to seriously slim down Firefox while I was at it.  There is
no reason a browser should need an SQL database.
</RANT>

> You should also check dmesg.  More than likely there is a kernel error
> that explains why it failed to suspend completely.

  Nothing obvious in dmesg when I tried manually shutting down.  The
listing showed the system shutting down, and then starting up.  No
warnings, let alone errors.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>