On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 06:55:50PM -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote

> You may not have do that.  All 3 of my systems with Intel graphics run
> KMS with X with no xorg.conf at all.  But since you're running stable
> YMMV.

  Fortunately I've set up lilo to boot up from separate "Production" and
"Experimental" kernels.  This allows me to reboot and flee to a sane
config if things go wrong.  It appears that nothing is simple.  The Intel
driver works great in X, without an xorg.conf.  However, it insists on
running framebuffer in text console mode.  I *CANNOT* turn off framebuffer.
Passing parameters to lilo via...

append = "noexec=on noexec32=on nofb"

doesn't help.  In "make menuconfig" graphics/console, I see

-*- Framebuffer Console support

there is no box to uncheck.  Could it be related to my /etc/make.conf

VIDEO_CARDS="intel vga"

  Would changing that to VIDEO_CARDS="intel" (and re-emerging xorg) help?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>