On Wednesday 28 October 2009 20:10:52 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > Not sure this is related with the OP's problem, I have noticed that on my
> > system I can scroll up in a console if it displays the output of a
> > command, e.g. ls, but I cannot scroll up on the boot messages.  Also, I
> > cannot scroll up on the log messages on VT12.  Is there something that I
> > need to set up in the kernel?  In the old days (perhaps different
> > machine?) I used to be able to
> > scroll up in both.

> Also note, if you migrate away from the boot console and then come
> back, it may not scrollback at all.  If I want to see what boot is
> doing I scroll back immediately before running startx or moving to
> another console.

I think that you may have put your finger on the problem here.  I used to run
startx from the console - now run xdm.  So it may have been that it worked
back then because I would scroll up before leaving the console.  However, I
seem to recall that it also worked with VT12.  May be I'm wrong, not sure.
--
Regards,
Mick