On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 09:36 -0700, Grant wrote:
> I'd like to receive ELOG messages in my inbox, but I'm hesitant to
> leave my mail server's user:passwd in plain text in /etc/make.conf.
> Do there exist public mail servers where I can send messages like this
> to be delivered?  I guess that's called an open replay?  If I use my
> ISP's mail server, should it still work when on a different ISP?
>
> - Grant

One way you can do this is to use ssmtp.  The config file is normally
not world-readable and it also has the advantage that it can talk to
your SMTP server via SSL/TLS.  If you also have a mail service that
supports aliases, you can also have it sent to an alias address and have
it filtered/delivered based on the alias (for e.g. on my systems portage
sends all its emails to port...@marduk.<domainname>.org.

A second alternative is to have ELOG send to a program and have that
program in charge of delivering the message (via SMTP or whatever). You
can make this program store the program and have it only
readable/executable by root (or whoever portage runs as).

Hope this helps,
-a