Albert Hopkins schrieb:

> GNOME has a settings for keyboard shortcuts.  Usually you just have to
> assign an even to a key if it's not already assigned.

Sure, I tried that but those keys don't generate an event there (within
gnome-keybinding-properties).

> I use the evdev managed keyboard.  It seems to work much better than the
> pre-defined layouts.  And also I can easily switch keyboards and have
> stuff "just work".

That's what I assumed as well.

> Have you tried using the evdev driver?

My xorg.conf looks like I do, correct?

Xorg.0.log irritates me a bit --->

(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
(**) Keyboard0: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(II) Keyboard0: Found keys
(II) Keyboard0: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
(**) Keyboard1: always reports core events
(**) Keyboard1: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) Keyboard1: Found 12 mouse buttons
(II) Keyboard1: Found keys
(II) Keyboard1: Configuring as keyboard
(**) Keyboard1: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Keyboard1: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10,
EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Lite-On Technology USB Productivity
Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): always reports core events
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(WW) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): device file already in use. Ignoring.
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Lite-On Technology USB Productivity
Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )"
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Lite-On Technology USB Productivity
Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): always reports core events
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(WW) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): device file already in use. Ignoring.
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Lite-On Technology USB Productivity
Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )"
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

*sigh*

thanks, greets, Stefan