On Thursday 29 October 2009 20:36:27 James wrote:
> I have a cluster of Gentoo boxes I'd like to update all at once, along
> with emerging specific packages to the servers simultaneously.
>
> Does anyone have any experience(s) with a good utility for doing this?
> I've seen a few scripts online for accomplishing this but I'm not sure
> how these scripts would handle the large amount of output that emerge
> generates from all the servers simultaneously.
>
> Thoughts / ideas appreciated.

I thought we answered this for you two days ago?

Put the same world and config on every machine, and build everything on one
host called the binhost.

emerge -k on every machine will pull binary packages from the binhost. This is
identical to working with say Ubuntu, except that it's not a maintainer
building packages and putting them on a remote repo, it's you doing it and
putting the packages on a machine on your local network.

clusterssh will let you log into many machines at once and run emerge -avuND
world everywhere

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com