My windowsXP video editing machine where I use various adobe tools to
capture and edit video, has lost use of the ohci ports, and seemingly
the usb ports as well.  I've been seeing problems with those inputs
for a while and today, finally the machine simply is not `seeing' the
video cam attached to either of two ohci (1394) inputs.

Unistall/re-install drivers etc... no soap.

I'm going to need a pci card and will change over to 1394b when I get
it.

Hoping to use gentoo platform to capture video.  Googling around this
morning, I hoped to find a howto that at least listed what has to be
compiled kernel wise.

There is a vast amount of hits with strings like
 `gentoo howto capture video'
 `linux capture video'

but an awful lot of it is anecdotal stuff from forums, seems to be
lots of stuff about mythtv, and webcams and of course lots of what
turns up is ancient (well, 3-5 yrs old).

I wondered if anyone here has used gentoo for mini-dv capture and if
so what do I need to do regarding the kernel?

I see apps called dvgrab and kino show up in many of the hits too.

Is it just a matter of building specific modules or turning on certain
parameters in the kernel?

Are the tools dvgrab or kino self contained enough that I could do the
the capture with one or the other alone?

I'm not really concerned with the editing, and will transfer the
captured clips to a winxp machine where I can use Adobe premiere to
edit them.