On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:26 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 04:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>    If it matters this is a PPC Mac Mini used as a MythTV backend
>> server...
>
> Oops, I forgot to ask:
>
> It may be very important -- but I don't have a clue what a MythTV
> server does or what packages it depends on.
>
> Does your server use something like Apache/php to do the serving,
> and do you really need php to do it?

Walt,
   Thanks for the info on the USE flag. I'll try that tomorrow.

   As for Myth and Apache, there is a MythWeb app that allows me to
look at TV listings, what's recorded, what's coming up, etc. I don't
even know what php is so I cannot say whether I need it or not. I
suspect this is the sort of thing where a developer or whoever sets of
basic profiles set something and maybe I could get rid of it if I knew
what it did. It seems to be required by MythWeb and I don't seem to
have any real USE flag control in MythWeb. To me Apache is just a
tool, not an app, so I don't try to optimize how I use it but rather
hope the Gentoo devs are making the right choices.

   Again, thanks!

- Mark

MacMini ~ # equery depends php
[ Searching for packages depending on php... ]
www-apps/mythweb-0.21_p17573 (=virtual/httpd-php-5*)
MacMini ~ #

MacMini ~ # emerge -pv mythweb apache

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] www-servers/apache-2.2.11-r2  USE="ldap ssl -debug
-doc (-selinux) -sni -static -suexec -threads"
APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon
authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default
authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav
dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter
file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime
mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id
userdir usertrack vhost_alias -asis -auth_digest -authn_dbd -cern_meta
-charset_lite -dbd -dumpio -ident -imagemap -log_forensic -proxy
-proxy_ajp -proxy_balancer -proxy_connect -proxy_ftp -proxy_http
-substitute -version" APACHE2_MPMS="-event -itk -peruser -prefork
-worker" 0 kB

[ebuild   R   ] www-apps/mythweb-0.21_p17573  USE="-vhosts" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
MacMini ~ #