walt wrote:
> On 11/01/2009 02:36 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:

>>> Do you mean the entire system, or just the X server?
>>>
>> Desktop(raw X, default terminals and clock icon) appears, instant
>> total system crash
>>

>>> If you type 'X' from a console (instead of startx) does the crash still
>>> happen?
>>>
>> Black screen, instant total system crash.
>>

> Well, that suggests a kernel panic, I think.  What happens if you use an
> older kernel?
>

>> Oh, and the green nvidia icon fails to flash briefly after the startx
>> command.
>>

> I use the same nvidia drivers for the nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
> 5200]
> video card (given to me by my brother-in-law-the-gamer after I installed his
> new,
> upgraded nVidia card for him :o)
>
> For a long time I saw that same green nvidia logo flash during startup, but
> now
> that you mention it, I haven't seen it for a long time. I really don't know
> when
> it stopped, but it was weeks ago, not days.

I was informed a while back that the later driver versions only show the
Nvidia splash screen the first time the module is loaded or something
like that.  Basically you only see it once.  That can be changed somehow
but I can remember how they said to do it.  I only asked because I
thought my Nvidia drivers weren't loading.

Dale

:-)  :-)