On 11/02/2009 03:20 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I noticed I've been masking gcc beyond version 4.3.2-r3, and have
> forgotten why I had it masked.
>
> I'm updating world right now, and wondered if I were to move up to
> most recent gcc (4.4.2), which would be a 5 version jump, what I could
> expect in the way of problems.
>
> Would I need to re-emerge just about everything?

No, just the c++ programs, because they require the correct version of
libstdc++, and that library is part of the gcc package.  If the new gcc
package includes a new version of libstdc++ (not always) then existing
c++ apps will break because they can't find the old version of libstdc++.

Note that the old libstdc++ will be reincarnated if you use gcc-config
to switch back to the old version of gcc.

Clear as mud?