On 7 Nov 2009, at 11:32, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
I'd love to know what the name of the kernel module is so I can unload
it:

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i pegasus
CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=y

it is not a module, but compiled in. You have to rebuild your kernel. And
probably decrapify your config a lot.

Doh! I was fairly tired when I wrote that, sorry.

I tend to just occasionally copy the kernel .config from that used on the latest Knoppix disk, and `make oldconfig` between times. I figure I don't know enough about the kernel that I'm likely to be able to select a better set of options than that, and learning what to change will surely not produce improvements worth the time expended.

I would love a recommended "default" kernel .config - either for Gentoo or Linux in general, but based towards on "small server" use - but I'm not aware of anyone publishing one. I like the notion of a small, minimal and "sleek" kernel, but with lots of modules available to load as necessary, should I install a new PCI card. If anyone has any low-overhead suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Stroller.