----- Original Message ----- From: "Volker Armin Hemmann" <volkerar...@googlemail.com>
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ati drivers.

On Freitag 13 November 2009, Igor wrote:
В сообщении от Пятница 13 ноября 2009 05:38:24 автор Nikos Chantziaras

написал:
> On 11/12/2009 11:55 PM, Igor wrote:
> > В сообщении от Пятница 13 ноября 2009 00:30:35 автор Volker Armin
> > Hemmann
> >
> > написал:
> >>  [...]
> >> yeah, unpacking in /usr/portage is completly wrong. Just follow the
> >> instructions.
> >
> > I strictly follow the instructions. But "emerge: there are no ebuilds
> > to satisfy "=x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.3.901-r99"."
>
> Volker's instructions work, but the overlay method is more complicated
> than it needs to be.  You can find an easier method of applying the
> patch here:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-794699.html
>
> This has the benefit that it works with all versions of X.Org and not
> just with 1.6.3 and you don't need a custom ebuild in your local > overlay.
>
> Note that the patch we're talking about does *not* fix the CPU load on
> moving windows; ati-drivers are just too slow with this operation. It
> only fixes the resizing, maximizing and opening of new windows.

Thank you. But i have question about this patch. Why ati driver is very
 slow in X.Org? Is it bug ati driver or X.Org?

as I wrote before, 'they' changed X a long time ago for intel drivers and
screwed over everybody else. So it is X fault - but X devs put the fingers in
their ears, say it is everybody's else fault and sing lalala.

I really don`t understand this. X have spec and all must use it. X don`t must use spec of intel. If X change spec then all must change drivers. Open source driver work fine.