On Saturday 14 November 2009 01:17:13 Dale wrote:
> Just picking on this one since it is newer.  ;-)  I finally got through
> the other stuff, with arts enabled since it griped about the change
> before, and I am now disabling arts.  I think it wanted it so badly
> because I was doing a preserved-rebuild and other packages had it
> enabled.  I don't guess a -N option would take on that emerge.
>
> I think I did this once before and my sound disappeared.  Everything
> went mute so I may be back.  It may just be a setting in KDE or
> something that needs changing.  That was a while ago to.  I barely
> remember it.  Then again, maybe it wasn't sooo long ago.  What did I
> have for breakfast today?  ^_^

The only reason arts ever existed at all was to do sound mixing in software in
the days when hardware generally did not do that.

These days alsa takes care of all of that. OSS-4 does a better job I hear, but
in any case you do not need arts. If you did, how would it be possible to hear
sound in a flash video in a browser on a non-KDE system?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com