Marcus Wanner wrote:
On 11/20/2009 4:00 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
Hi,

there are two utilities on (my) Gentoo system and I wonder
when to prefer which one.

On one hand there is 'equery' with many commands.
On the other hand there the 'q-tools' i.e. a lot of
symlinks to /usr/bin/q
like
qfile
qdepends
quse
and so on.

Often they offer similar tasks.
I wonder when to use which one.
Which is faster, more reliable, ...

Many thanks for sharing your experience,
Helmut.
I would personally prefer equery, as it is in gentoolkit, an official gentoo project, and because is more standard. To tell the truth, though, I have never even heard of q-tools...

Marcus

But as I have seen and read about, equery is not always correct. It is handy but you need to take its results with a little salt.
That said, I use it a lot.  just have to use the old noodle still.

Dale

:-) :-)