2009/11/20 Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 18 November 2009 23:38:22 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>> On 18/11/09 Mick said:
>> > I don't think that there bugs in conf.d/net just a matter of preference.
>> > Alan suggested that wicd is a simpler way to have your wireless
>> > configured and it does not need /etc/init.d/*net scripts to function.
>> >
>> > I am running wpa_supplicant:
>> >
>> > modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
>> >
>> > wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dwext"
>> >
>> > and it just works??? for my wireless card.
>> >
>> > You may want to try something like this in your /etc/conf.d/net:
>> >
>> > sleep_scan_wlan0="1"
>> >
>> > config_wlan0=( "dhcp" )
>> > fallback_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
>> > fallback_route_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
>> >
>> > in case there is a dhcp problem with how the router releases IP address
>> > leases.
>>
>> I'm not using dhcp, just a static address.
>
> Does your router know this?  I'm not being funny, but I had run into a problem
> sometime in the past where a change in the dhcpcd version caused the router to
> not read the NIC MAC address correctly.  That created a clash with the IP
> address lease.
>
>> All I want the damn scripts to
>>  do is this
>>
>> modprobe ndiswrapper
>
> OK, have you looked in your logs/dmesg?  I think that the ndiswrapper has to
> load first and probe your NIC, before /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 launches.  It may
> pay to keep an eye on the router logs while your machine boots.
>
> My line above with sleep_scan_wlan0="1" or say "3" seconds delay may help, if
> this is the problem.
>
>> iwconfig wlan0 essid digitaltorque
>> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
>> route add default gw 192.168.0.1
>>
>> After looking at the net.example again maybe I need this
>>
>> modules=( "ifconfig" "iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" )
>
> If you have not installed wpa_supplicant you don't need this.  Just make sure
> #modules=( "wpa_supplicant" ) is commented out.  iwconfig is the default
> anyway.  ifconfig or iproute2 will work so I don't think that you need to
> define that either.  Your entries:
>
> essid_wlan0="digitaltorque"
> config_wlan0=( "192.168.0.5/24" )
> routes_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
>
> are correct - so the error is not because of these.
>
>> Or maybe I should just run an rc.local script.
>
> You could use the preup scripts in /etc/conf.d/net, if for some reason the
> ndiswrapper takes for ever to kick into action.

I just noticed that the latest dhcpcd-4.0.15 is playing up when it
comes up.  It seems that on 3 out of 5 it will time out when my
machine boots up.  It works fine if I bring it up manually thereafter,
or run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart.  The previous version worked
without timing out.  This may be related to how dhcpcd interacts with
my router - or it could also be related to your problem?  I haven't
had time to troublshoot it yet.
--
Regards,
Mick