I keep having a problem where the OS becomes inaccessable after
running in X for a while.  I haven't noticed a time pattern yet but it
doesn't take long sometimes.

Today I started from an OFF machine, booted up, started X did a few
things  A few minutes later I attempted to login via ssh from a remote
laptop down stairs.  The os is inaccessable via ssh, or port 25 (its
also a mailhup for home lan).

Went back to the actual machine and it is inaccessable from console as
well.

It's happened repeatedly now for a week or two, but I've been busy with
other stuff, and if I need it running I've just left it in console
mode.

The problem apparently does not occur in console mode.

I see no problem when starting X and I see nothing in
/var/log/messages that gives a clue about what is happening.

I'm running fairly up to date Desktop profile on kernel:

 (uname -a)
  Linux reader 2.6.31-gentoo-r4_rdr-5 #6 SMP
  Wed Nov 4 09:19:17 CST 2009 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R)
  CPU 3.06GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I'm not sure how to track down the problem since I'm not seeing any
give away clues in /var/log/messages

So far, once the lockup has happened it appears there is no way in
other than the reboot switch.