On 12/02/2009 01:22 PM, Dirk Uys wrote:
Hi

This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
access, the PC slows down to a halt? I remember some issue between
Firefox and the kernel causing long pauses, but I've had several
different kernel versions running.
[...]

It's a known problem. I have the same issue. But there is a solution: start disk I/O heavy tasks with "ionice -c3". For emerge, this can be done automatically by putting this in your make.conf:

  PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"

ionice is in sys-apps/util-linux so it should be installed already.