On Wednesday 02 December 2009 19:59:35 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Alan McKinnon schrieb:
> > Most folk now have to rebuild 70 - 300 packages, I'm stuck with
> > potentially 1472 <sigh>
>
> I feel with you ... fortunately the cpus should do it on their own,
> accompanied by some fans ;-)
>
> -
>
> Any idea how to elegantly split that job into some digestible chunks?
>
> The various qlop/genlop/awk/grep/sed-scripts posted so far simply give
> me the whole list of packages emerged since patch-2.6 and today while
> they don't care about what I rebuilt already.

flameeyes is the fellow making all the fuss about this. On his blog

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/12/01/gentoo-service-announcement-keep-clear-of-
gnu-patch-2-6

he gives a way to build a decent list that removes packages re-emerged since
patch was downgraded again. The trouble with a bug like this is that it gets
used everywhere and affects very basic packages which are then used by other
packages (that may or may not have been patched meanwhile) potentially
affecting their behaviour too.

The effects are complex and never fully determined. Consider this: rebuilding
world on a modern desktop will take around 24 to 36 hours. You could spend
more time than that figuring out how to build a full list :-)

> Seems as if I have to simply manage that to-rebuild-list myself ..
>
> Greets, Stefan
>
> ps: *maybe* my X11-crashing-issue is somehow related to this as well.
> I first posted that issue on nov,15th ... on the same day patch-2.6 hit
> ~amd64 AFAIK ...

It's certainly possible, the times certainly coincide. And you do have
symptoms that no-one else is having (sorta the kind of thing you'd expect from
a patch that should have been applied and wasn't).

It's worth downgrading patch and rebuilding X even if only to see what happens

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com