On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:46:18 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:

> >> One of the major deficiencies of Gentoo is
> >> that it doesn't provide such a file automatically.
> > emerge -p @system
> > emerge -p @world
>
>   root:501 ~> emerge -p @system
>     !!! '@system' is not a valid package atom.
>     !!! Please check ebuild(5) for full details.
>   root:502 ~> emerge -p @world
>     !!! '@world' is not a valid package atom.
>     !!! Please check ebuild(5) for full details.
>
> 'man 5 ebuild' has nothing relevant to '@' 'system' 'world' '-p'.
> I'm using the latest stable Portage-2.1.6.3 .
>
> Any further advice ?

Sets are not available in stable portage but have been working well in
testing for over a year.

> Let me emphasise yet again: the way I do things has been successful
> on  2  machines for more than  6  years; it's others who have problems
> doing it their way & regularly seek advice on this list as a result.

That doesn't mean it would work for others, especially if they followed
your advice and messed up their world file. Your way basically consists
of treating portage with a great deal of mistrust and keeping paper
records of everything you permit it to do, after laboriously checking
what it tells you it wants to do.

Plenty of people let portage get on with the job it is supposed to do
without any significant breakage.

--
Neil Bothwick

You are about to give someone a piece of your mind,
something you can ill afford...