Hi Neil and all,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 02:23:13PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:36:41 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
> > The machine I was installing on was a laptop with no available desk top
> > to place it on.  Therefore I decided to get SSH up and running as early
> > as possible so as to do the bulk of the installation from my nice comfy
> > desktop, monitor and keyboard.  Starting sshd from inside the chrooted
> > system was obviously the Right Thing.
>
> Surely starting sshd from the live environment is The Right Thing if you
> want to get SSH running as soon as possible? That's how I've always done
> it.

You can actually start sshd as part of the boot process if your network
is automatically configured by adding something like this to what you
already type at the boot prompt:

dosshd passwd=rootpassword

I'm not sure why you would want to run sshd inside the chrooted
environment since it runs fine from the cd.

William