On 12/16/2009 07:51 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
At Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:36:45 -0500 Albert Hopkins<mar...@letterboxes.org>
wrote:

FWIW, I have a Logitech mouse with a wheel that scrolls up and down,
presses down, and clicks left and right.  All seem to work fine, except
I don't use the latter as I haven't found any purpose for it although I
could possibly see it replacing ALT-Tab.  Nah... to confusing.

Right.  Mine (MX 1000) has those plus others (I inherited the mouse).
My problem is that several of these send multiple events (i.e. clicking
one physical button results in two button-down events for different X11
buttons and then the corresponding two button-up events).

That's why I was wondering if just a simple front-or-back turn of the
wheel also produces two different button events for each notch -- you
should see only button-4 events for forward and only button-5 events for
backward.  (I actually see two button-4 events for each notch forward,
but the 'state' differs between the first and second event.)