On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 December 2009 02:37:54 Robert Bridge wrote:
>> dd is pretty thorough... afterall, it writes to every single block on the
>>  disk.
>>

> And the resulting effect from doing that once is:
>
> Trivially easy to recover the data that was there just before you did the dd

1) It's not trivial. Yes, a forensic lab can probably get enough to
convict, but that is NOT trivial... (And I have been talking to data
retrieval experts about similar stuff in the last week!)

2) The OP has admitted it's not that sensitive.

3) dd DOES write to every sector of the disk. It does what it does
pretty thoroughly.

The major weakness of dd (and any other OS based tool) is the
potential for drives doing sector remapping. The only absolutely
guaranteed way to eliminate this is a furnace.