Paul Hartman wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm trying to get KDE 4 where I can use it so I used the layman to get the
latest.  Anyway, I seem to have ran into a Block, may not be related to KDE4
tho, that I just can't make sense of.  This is the error I get:

[blocks b     ] kde-base/kde-meta:4.3[-kdeprefix]
("kde-base/kde-meta:4.3[-kdeprefix]" is blocking kde-base/kde-meta-9999)
[blocks B     ] app-arch/lzma-utils ("app-arch/lzma-utils" is blocking
app-arch/xz-utils-9999)
[blocks B     ] app-arch/xz-utils ("app-arch/xz-utils" is blocking
app-arch/lzma-utils-4.32.7)

Total: 278 packages (17 upgrades, 19 new, 242 in new slots, 248 uninstalls),
Size of downloads: 240,422 kB
Conflict: 511 blocks (2 unsatisfied)
Portage tree and overlays:
[0] /usr/portage
[1] /usr/local/portage/layman/kde

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

 ('ebuild', '/', 'app-arch/xz-utils-9999', 'merge') pulled in by
  app-arch/xz-utils required by ('installed', '/',
'app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0.0.3g', 'nomerge')
  app-arch/xz-utils required by ('installed', '/', 'sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5',
'nomerge')
  app-arch/xz-utils required by ('installed', '/', 'dev-libs/mpfr-2.4.1_p1',
'nomerge')
  (and 10 more)

 ('ebuild', '/', 'app-arch/lzma-utils-4.32.7', 'merge') pulled in by
  app-arch/lzma-utils required by ('installed', '/',
'app-portage/eix-0.17.0', 'nomerge')
  app-arch/lzma-utils required by ('installed', '/',
'app-arch/libarchive-2.7.0-r1', 'nomerge')

I didn't post the whole thing but the part about the Blocks with a capital
B.  I have unmerged both lzma-utils and xz-utils but I still get this error.
 How can they block it when they are not installed yet?  I'm missing
something here.  I just don't see it.
I found a thread on the forums and did what it said but I still get this.
 It said to unmerge xz-utils which I did.  Then I unmerged lzma-utils for
good measure.

Someone tell me the trick to this?  Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)

xz-utils replaces lzma-utils, so you can't have them both installed at
once. Maybe try unmerging and re-emerging the packages that say they
depend on lzma-utils, they've probably been updated to use xz-utils
instead by now.

I think I tried that.  I ran this command with both blockers unmerged:

emerge -1v rpm2targz gpm mpfr eix libarchive

Thing is, it pulled both the blockers back in again. I also tried removing those two blockers and just doing the HUGE update, it still gripes about the block.

I synced last night. Could it be that I need to sync again? Maybe something was in the process of changing when I synced?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)