Grant wrote:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda (or what ever)

After reading over all the info here, I think I'm going to go with dd
since the data isn't too sensitive.

I created a "9.1_Live_x64" USB key with unetbootin, but the laptop
won't boot to it.  I have another 512MB USB key that it boots to just
fine.  Could my 8GB key be non-bootable?  The laptop's CD drive isn't
working so I need another way to install an easy copy of Linux after I
dd.

 - Grant

Wouldn't Knoppix work? I'm pretty sure it has the dd command and I know you can install Gentoo from it. Since there are some versions of Knoppis that would fit on a CD, I would see if one of those would fit on the 512Mb thingy.

Damn Small Linux may be a option too. Not sure about installing from it tho. I guess the network and stuff would work from it.

Just some thoughts.

Dale

:-)  :-)