On Saturday 26 December 2009 23:29:32 bn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have finally updated from kde 3.5 to kde-base 4.3
>
> Everything smooth so far, but when I try to install, for example,
> kdeplasma-addons, a blocks hell comes out.
>
> This is the (long) output of emerge -tpuv qt-gui:

[snip]

> I admit I do not have the slightest idea of what to do to solve that. I
> can't understand from above which are the packages bringing conflicting
> things, and even the conflicts are unclear. I can't think anything apart
> from unmerging all of Qt and retrying -but even then, I fear that
> something else is the blocking combination and I find myself without Qt.
>
> I tried googling but, even if some similar blocks comes out, I don't see
> *this* block mess coming out.

Basically, the most important thing to sort out is those qt blocks. You appear
to be running an arch machine as version 4.5.3-r1 wants to be merged, right?

Trying to merge just qt-gui (or any other individual qt apps) is not really
going to help much, as portage does not do a deep search. Try:

emerge -avuND world

and see if portage sensibly sorts out what should replace what. You might need
a very recent portage for this to work automagically. If not, you can either
unmask portage, emerge portage and try again, or if you don't like that
approach, you must do it the older, longer way:

remove every single qt and/or qt-* package from world (qt should be treated as
pure dependencies unless you are developing qt apps)
unmerge *everything* in qt
emerge -avuND world

and let portage sort out what qt versions must be installed.

Then you must remerge all of KDE4 and every other package that uses qt. Don't
skimp this step becuase it 'takes a long time' - you will surely regret it
(random mysterious failures etc that only go away when you finally do update
all of KDE)

Once qt is out of the way, proceed with any other blockers that remain

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com