Thank you for taking the trouble to answer.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All I can say (I don't use Gnome and Nautilus to be more helpful with the
> specifics) is that there is a difference between mounting a device via hal
> and
> mounting it manually.  I recall that you can't mix the two - when I tried
> it
> on my machine (using Konqueror) it wouldn't work.  I think hal complained,
> but
> can't recall off hand.

It seems to me that it is possible to unmount the drives manually, many
times, if not always, if it is impossible to unmount them via nautilus.
Other File Managers work differently, I think Thunar may be more
straightforward, not sure, though.  Maybe this will all pass soon enough,
but for now, on one of my machines, especially, I have to reboot
frequently.  If it's hal that is at work, then perhaps I can restart that?
But when I did something similar, the window manager, at least, restarted.

Thanks again,

Alan