On 9 Jan 2010, at 09:23, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 07:20:18 +0000, Valmor de Almeida wrote:

Sometimes the "current rate" reads 0 B/s for a long time... and "time
from last successful read" can be 8m.

Would any one know whether this is normal?

Doesn't ddrescue retry on blocks it cannot read? That would explain the
variable read rate, even the period of zero activity. If your drive is
that badly damaged, dd would have been no use anyway.

I think Valmor is using GNU ddrescue, with which one makes the multiple passes manually. The "-n" flag on the command line that Valmor posted (`ddrescue -n /dev/sda /dev/sdc rescued.log`) relates to the examples given in the GNU manual page [1]. I believe that GNU ddrescue is the better version - it was inspired by garloff's original work, and makes improvements, but it operates differently.

Having said that, it could just be that the drive _firmware) is making multiple attempts to read the failing blocks before returning the failure (or the data, in the case that a 2nd attempt to read the drive was successful) to the host o/s. Isn't this how hard-drives work?

ddrescue worked fast here when I tried it here recently on a drive with only one unreadable block, but Valmor's drive is failing much more severely. TBH, I would expect reads from a badly-failing drive, but this is an intuitive expectation, not a reasoned one. I think the best thing he can do is hold his breath, wait until its finished and see how if the results are readable, after running `fsck` on the mounted filesystem.

Valmor: when I ran the `ddrescue -dr3` stage I had no success at all, however the system was fine after a reboot & a `chkdsk`. Better than it had been, in fact, on the old hard-drive. You might have more luck getting *some* of the blocks showing as failed when you run it on your drive, but don't be too disheartened if you don't.

Stroller.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html#Examples