Hi,
  My 5-year old gentoo-AMD64 machine when up in smoke this week so I'm
building a new machine. Most parts are on order but one big change
these days is the motherboards I want to purchase no longer support
EIDE/ATAPI interfaces so I'll have to get a new CD-R/DVD-R drive to
get the OS loaded and for writing mostly audio discs using
cdda2wav/cdrecord. While I understand firmware is often a problem on
these drives I'm wondering what drive manufacturers folks would
recommend these days as having the best results with cdrecord?

Thanks,
Mark