I have noticed for a long time, and continuing with KDE 4.4, that
kmail/kontact shows a bunch of small popup window boxes, each containing a
single letter, whenever it's displaying a message and the control key is
pressed and released.  Another depression/release of the control key removes
the boxes.

I first noticed this with KDE 3.4 on OpenSUSE 10.3, and it has continued on
gentoo with KDE 3.5 and now 4.4. An example of what I'm describing can be seen
at http://cunning.ods.org/kmail-boxes.jpg

I couldn't get any useful hits on Google with the keywords I came up with.
Has anyone seen this and/or know how to eliminate it?

Thanks,
--
Jim