On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 12:52 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:55:33 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> > Whenever I dock / undock I have to run nvidia-settings to change the
> > resolution from the virtual 3840x1200 to 1920x1200 or vice versa.  Also
> > since two screens is the "Default" I have to do this when I log in with
> > only the laptop.
> >
> > I am looking for a way to use the command line nvidia-settings (as much
> > as I've studied the help I can't find out how to do it - all attributes
> > seem read-only to the command line nvidia-settings)
>
> Can you do this with the --config and --load-settings options?

OK, I finally got around to trying this, but no it doesn't work.  When
trying to switch from laptop-only to laptop and LCD I just get:

ERROR: Invalid display device DFP-2 specified on line 40 of configuration file
       '.nvidia-settings-rc-twin' (the currently enabled display devices are
       DFP-0 on orpheus:0.0).

ERROR: Invalid display device DFP-2 specified on line 42 of configuration file
       '.nvidia-settings-rc-twin' (the currently enabled display devices are
       DFP-0 on orpheus:0.0).

And this is when using the config file I saved with two screens working.
I have to run nvidia-settings by hand and select "detect displays"
before DFP-2 appears.

ideas? thanks,

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember
and be sad.
                -- Christina Rossetti