On Friday 29 January 2010 14:12:10 Iain Buchanan wrote:

> what contract?

I don't know how it is where you are, but in the UK, as I understand it,
every sale is deemed to embody an implied contract* between buyer and
seller. Either party is always free to specify whatever conditions he likes
prior to the sale, and the other can accept them or not.

> "Sorry buddy, that's just how they make 'em. Take it up with the
> manufacturer" is what I'd expect to hear.

Perhaps. Depends how badly they want the business, I suppose.

> Either that or "You want to do what?  What's Linux?"

Who mentioned intended use, or Linux? Just stipulate that the goods must not
require any particular software to operate. Simple - assuming that your
legal system works similarly enough to ours, of course.

It was just a suggestion, anyway. Take it or leave it.  :-)

* Apart from the ones with specific contracts, naturally.

--
Rgds
Peter.