On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:08:25 +0200
Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 February 2010 06:03:10 David Relson wrote:
> > G'day,
> >
> > I've been running baselayout-2 for several months and it's been
> > working fine AFAICT.  Over the weekend I noticed that my USB thumb
> > drive is no longer automounting.
> >
> > This evening I ran "/etc/init.d/udev status" which reported:
> >
> >  * status: stopped".
> >
> > Running "/etc/init.d/udev start" reported:
> >
> >  * The udev init-script is written for baselayout-2!
> >  * Please do not use it with baselayout-1!.
> >  * ERROR: udev failed to start
> >
> > The message occurs because /etc/init.d/udev checks for
> > /etc/init.d/sysfs, which is not present.
> >
> > Googling indicates that /etc/init.d/sysf comes from
> > sys-apps/openrc.  I have openrc-0.3.0-r1 installed (from long
> > ago).  openrc-0.6.0-r1 is available, though keyworded ~amd64.
> > Unmasking it and running "emerge -p ..." shows that sysvinit is a
> > blocker.
> >
> > Is it safe to delete sysvinit and emerge openrc-0.6.0-r1?  Am I
> > likely to get myself into troubleif I do this?  If so, how much and
> > how deep?
>
> very very very very deep trouble if you restart the machine and
> everything is not complete yet. Do not do that.
>
> all version of baselayout-2 are marked unstable and you likely have
> an old version of sysvinit that is not compatible with the ancient
> openrc you do have. That openrc is not in portage anymore.
>
> You should upgrade to the latest unstable portage (which supports
> automatically resolving blockers). You need baselayout, openrc and
> sysvinit as well as /etc/init.d/sysfs. I have none of these in world
> yet all are present.
>
> With the latest portage, try again and let portage figure out for
> itself what it wants to do.

Hi Alan,

Reply appreciated!

I've been running unstable versions of portage for many months and
currently have 2.1.7.17, which _is_ the newest non-masked version.

With it, sysvinit is blocking (capital "B") openrc-0.6.0-r1
and /etc/init.d/sysfs is not present (which makes /etc/init.d/udev
unhappy).

Since /etc/init.d/udev only _checks_ for the presence of
/etc/init.d/sysfs but doesn't run it (or anything), would creating a
dummy (zero length) sysfs file be workable?

Regards,

David