On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 07:21:20PM +0100, Shoka wrote:
> I got stuck when trying to get the Intel Wireless 5300 device running.
> I'm using the 2.6.31.gentoo-r6 kernel source and have tried several
> configuration options for getting this driver to work.
>
> The gentoo os is running on a lenovo x200 notebook.
>
> It seems that the iwlagn module doesn't get compiled at all. When trying
> to run "modprobe iwlagn" I get the message "Module iwlagn not found".
> The device is properly recognized when using the Gentoo Live CD. There
> it uses the iwlagn module. So it should be possible to configure the
> kernel to do the same.

You said that the module didn't get compiled: did you configure the
kernel to include it?

> I have found this forum post about configuring the 5300 device, but this
> guy used the 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 kernel source and it looks like the kernel
> config options in menuconfig have changed. I cannot find a kernel config
> option called "Intel Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN (iwlagn)".

If you are in menuconfig, you can always hit / to bring up the search
screen, and type in IWL as your search string.

In 2.6.31-gentoo-r9, go to

Device Drivers -> Network device support -> Wireless LAN -> Wireless
LAN (IEEE 802.11) -> Intel Wireless Wifi

to enable IWLWIFI first, and then you should be able to see the
Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN option.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu
         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton